Saturday, May 7, 2011

Unplanned...

So today was supposed to be errands, shopping, and rain. Fortunately for all of us it didn't turn out that way. We sort of bailed on what we were supposed to do and went riding instead. The sun was in and out, and sprinkles of rain were light enough to actually enjoy. We headed for the Rattlesnake and decided to put in some dirt miles.

Initially I wasn't sure this was a good idea. I began having "doubts" around 5 miles into the ride... probably something to do with eating a big lunch and then taking off on a ride right away. I decided to push through it and am glad I did. By the top of Sawmill I was feeling great and we enjoyed a swooping descent back to the main corridor. Then a steady climb up Stuart Peak trail and across the second wooden bridge, then another "yee-haw" trip down Spring Gulch. Up to the Wallman TH, and quick little loop on the not-so-steep. Zoom back down to the main TH and down the singletrack along Rattlesnake Drive as the rain began to settle in.


Profile of a fun ride. 25 miles. 1750-ish ft. total ascent.


Unfortunately, the spontaneity of our decision and the rapidity with which it was executed left me ill prepared to document anything. I got precisely one picture.

This lovely flower captured my attention...
and apparently also captured all the free space on my digital camera.
I had left the memory card in another camera at home.


We took our time and enjoyed the afternoon. Trails are mostly dry, and spring has definitely brought out all the flora and fauna one would expect from sub-alpine western Montana. Days like today are an opportunity to reflect on how we approach life's myriad activities. Things can be TOO planned. One should always live deliberately, consciously... but sometimes it is so tremendously satisfying to get caught up in the moment and just GO.

Looking forward to many more rides like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment