Saturday, May 28, 2011

Opportunity.

There are many kinds of opportunity. To rest, to ride, to do or not do. We calculate our benefit from an activity, as my economics teacher would say, based on the "opportunity cost" of doing it. Yes, you can go and do this thing, but what will that end up costing you? What will you not be able to do because of this decision?

My last solo ride was a perfect example of this. It was a challenging route, a quick pace, and it blasted me right off the bike for several days. In fact, it kept me in bed for two of those days. It got me thinking about equipment. It got me thinking about the kinds of trips I have planned with the kids this summer. If a half-day ride was costing me this much, something had to change.

I revised my thinking. I re-aligned my goals. There were going to be mechanical changes to the bike that I didn't really want, but apparently really needed. Two gears is not enough. The pacing of my rides was going to change. From something just shy of race pace and pushing right up to the limits, back to meandering and taking pictures. Yes, I'm in pretty good shape, and I like to think of some of my riding as "training" to preserve and extend my ability. But now I think there definitely needs to be more time spent smelling the flowers, as it were.






On our outing today, I averaged 5mph. 20 miles in 4 hours. Tootling. Wandering. I took both kids. We rode until we found some dirt, and followed it around, sniffing out more dirt, and trying to avoid the road as much as possible. We did pretty well. Out of 20 miles, only around 5 was on pavement.

There is some question as to whether the route was entirely legal, there being various signs on adjacent trails advising "foot traffic only" and at least one fence that although not adorned with "no trespassing" signs, still resulted in some hesitation opening the gate and closing it behind us.

The kids had a good time. Rene struggled a bit, being in some kind of foul mood today. He walked quite a bit, and I had trouble finding pictures of him actually riding. He found out today that everyone has an off day, and it shouldn't impact your enjoyment too much... just accept it, and take what comes as it is.

As for myself, there were plenty of reasons I could have been disappointed in our outing today. I refuse to entertain these notions. It was grimly dim when we left, and scattered sun dapples by mid-ride. It looked like it would surely rain. We did not get wet at all. It was 45 degrees with a breeze at our apartment, but the air grew warmer as we pressed on. I felt sore and a little stiff. By the end of the ride I just wanted to keep going. As far as I'm concerned, choosing to go ride today highlighted the positive changes in everything... well, maybe except Rene's attitude, but he's almost 12... it goes with the territory.

All in all, a very colorful spring day exploring the dirt tracks through the hills of north Missoula.


This trails runs off Duncan Drive, right along the creek.

Except when the creek is at flood stage.

Julian at the water's edge.

Rene did a lot of walking. It was a really nice spot for a walk, at least.

Downtown Missoula from the North Hills.

The Peace Sign is a fixture on the hillside and can be seen across town.

Prayer Flags in the breeze.

We couldn't figure out how to make westward progress.
Went around in circles for a bit.

Very promising two-track. 

Julian LOVES trains. We had this view of the train yard from up high,
and the turntable where the cars can be turned around.

Fields of gold.

Our ride ended in some of the most spectacular hillsides. Every time the sun would peek out, the oceans of bright yellow flowers just exploded with color. 

Sometimes I feel the need to question my intent. Why do I do this? Why the urge to get out, up, away, and push hard into the world that surrounds our little islands of civilization? Well, today the answer was simple: just making the most of an opportunity.

---


No comments:

Post a Comment