Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Change of Seasons...

Many signs that things are changing here in western Montana. The sun is out, the birds are signing, and every construction crew in a 30 mile radius is busy building something up or tearing something down. Our apartment complex decided to "renovate" so we've had siding being tacked down onto the walls for the last 2 days. Unpeaceful. I don't think that's a word, but it is an environmental condition.

We took to the bike and decided to flee. Far away from the pounding nails, bright orange vests, surveyors stopping traffic, and dump trucks, bulldozers, and steamrollers spewing their collective diesel breath into the otherwise pristine air. 

I figured this would be decent time for me to experiment with the other camera, too. I've been shooting with a tiny Casio point-and-shoot that takes decent images, but I have noticed they are soft and often not quite right in the focus department. I have a larger Kodak digital with Image Stabilization and many more manual features that I haven't been shooting with on rides due to its bulk. Well, I figured out how to pack it on the bike, so I'm going to use it and see for myself if it is worth the extra bulk.


A small portion of the Dandelion Invasion Force that is taking over in front of my apartment.


Julian decided Pattee Canyon was the place to be, so up we went.


Hillside above Pattee Creek.


We rode through the Picnic Area and found a likely spot.
Mental note.


After rolling through the Picnic Area, we got on the Sam Braxton trail and took off skyward in a way that left me unsure if my cardiac muscle was still located within my chest cavity. Steep, fall line trail that looked like it just kept right on going to the top of the south wall of the canyon. I don't know who this Sam Braxton guy is, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't ride a bike.

In the forest, the signs of the new season were somewhat quieter, but no more subtle. Bright green colors from trees and mosses, rushing creeks full of water turned slightly brown from the rapidity of the meltwater cascading down from the snowpack, birds singing and many forest critters out and about.


Looking back toward the valley from somewhere near the top of Sam B.

Broad, woodland singletrack.

We rode right past this small herd of deer, and they took off in a hurry.
Pushing my camera to the limit to get this shot.

A very busy woodpecker.
Somehow managed to get this handheld at maximum zoom, and its a crop from the center of the frame.
I'm thinking the Image Stabilzation in the bigger camera is a GOOD thing.


A brightly colored specimen of the local wildlife.
Note the splattering of mud and Clif bar, indicating feeding habits.

We rode a nice loop, and reluctantly pointed down the hill to forage for some lunch. Back into the din of a city rousing itself from winter hibernation.

2 comments:

  1. Sam Braxton is pretty much the guy who invented modern mountain biking, several years before Gary Fisher and his cronies were dabbling on the dirt in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

    Also, thanks for keeping up with your blog. I've been checking in for the latest trail reports and pictures of Missoula. Mmmm. I miss Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... open mouth, insert foot.

    I'll say the one thing that has been noticeable about the Missoula area trails has been the steepness. Other places I have lived, trail builders tended to contour and switchback more to stay off the fall lines. I probably notice the steepness more than I should with the trailer and Julian on the bike. Next time I'll go up solo, if he lets me. ;)

    I appreciate the comment, Jill. I have been keeping up with the evolution of your story as it continues in CA, and I'm looking forward to reading your new book. You continue to be an inspiration to the community even from afar.

    ReplyDelete