Monday, March 7, 2011

Virtual Route Finding

I have been spending a great deal of time looking at maps lately. Not an entirely pleasant activity, but I just haven't been able to put it down.

I got this idea in my head after seeing some video of a ride down Rock Creek. I thought, wouldn't it be great if you could ride out of Missoula, head down Rock Creek, cross the Sapphires, and then come back to Missoula, all in the mountains?

So, yeah... it IS possible.


It is not what I had envisioned, however. You see, I had this fantasy where one could climb into the mountains, ride along the well defined spine of the Sapphires, and descend around Eightmile and then into Miller Creek. Fabulous. Except that the Welcome Creek Wilderness is one of those pesky "No Mechanized Vehicles" areas... so no bikes.


The alternative route must go around the Wilderness Area, and cross three very steep drainages in the process.

(note to self: I should really actually buy Topofusion. It is great software that I have been using frequently.)

115 miles, 16,000 feet of climbing.

Once you climb up at Cinnamon Bear, there's (right to left, south to north)
Ambrose, Three Mile, Cooney Ridge, and Eightmile.
That's some climbing right there.

So the route has been found. I really doubt my own ability to do it at this point. Especially inside a two day time constraint.

I am planning to do the portion of this route from Missoula down Rock Creek, across the Sapphires, and then up to Ambrose Saddle, but will probably head down toward Florence via the Eastside Hwy from there. There are a few people interested already. Could be a great trip. Two days of bikepacking on the Lolo NF. I'm thinking late June or early July depending on what the weather does.

No comments:

Post a Comment