Monday, March 7, 2011

Sunday Rides

It decided to be really nice on Saturday. The sun came washing down from blue skies, the temps soared above 40 degrees, and we were hanging out in shorts and t-shirts enjoying every drop of Spring while doing some much needed bike maintenance.

So when it decided to be nice again on Sunday, we all went for a ride up Grant Creek Rd. We didn't know if it would still be frozen near the top, but I was determined to get my 1000 ft. of climbing in for the weekend and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Sun dappled snow along the creek.

The road was a little icy. Further down, it was a melting, flowing mess.

Turns out, it is still icy and snowy at the top, but I got my climbing and we had a great ride.

We got the mudflap situation sorted so we could ride this without the J man getting totally filthy.

From my apartment, to the top of Grant Creek Rd, and then back down to the coffee shop where we usually stop is almost exactly 15 miles with 1000 feet of ascent and 875 feet of descent according to GPS. A nice sunday morning toodle. And, I think we got a little sunburned, actually. I'm not complaining. We probably got as much sun exposure in the last two days as we've gotten in the last two months.

My bike is finished enough to ride, so I rode it even though the current gearing is a little high. My new wheelset hasn't arrived yet, so my lowest gear was about 50 gear inches. I did much of the ride in my 66 inch gear as well. I'll explain that a bit later. Full build spec and photos to come... I just want to finish it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment