Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ring around the mountain...

Let me start off by saying that this ride was too early, too ambitious, and will be much more fun in a month or two. Okay... now, on to the good part.

We woke up to bluebird skies and warm sun in a cool 32 degree morning. Perfect. Julian says "We have to go on a bike ride today." Cool, just what I was thinking. So I asked "Do you want a short bike ride or a long bike ride?" His reply "A long bike ride, dad."

So I give this some thought... how can we get some mileage in this early in the season without riding some boring route on the side of the road? I know. Let's go.

We took the bike path to the Kim Williams Trail.

Trail conditions were, at times, less than ideal.


We did get to ride on some dirt now and then.

But mostly it looked like this. Surprisingly rideable, actually.
That 38mm tire at 35 psi is a beautiful thing.

Part of the trail follows a train track quite closely. Julian LOVES trains. This was great.

Starting the climb up Deer Creek Rd. Mmmmmmmud.

We saw lush forests, snow melting off of tall trees, rivers of mud running down the hillsides,
and these very cool looking rocks. I like rocks.

We made it up to this vantage point nearing the end of the climb
and looked down through the trees at the valley below.

At the top, it became an icy, unrideable slushfest.
There was plenty of hiking.

Descending Pattee Canyon Road into a brutally chilling wind.
If not where the rainbow ends, at least where the climbing ends.

Our ride.

19 or so miles, and the jury is still out on the total climbing. GPS says 1200, Topofusion says 2100. I'll say it subjectively felt like right around 1500 or so total, and that the climb up Deer Creek is MUCH steeper than up Pattee Creek. Add to this that my drivetrain was complaining (I still don't have all my new parts yet, grumble grumble) and I rode up most of this in the middle ring when i wasn't hiking. My legs are feeling a little burnt at the moment. 

This was a great ride, and a great day for a ride. We saw lots of other people out on bikes and skis, and everyone was so happy. We stopped at the Subway for a big lunch and headed home. First real offroad "dirty" ride of the season. Everything is covered in mud. Sweet.

2 comments:

  1. It would be cool if you would STOP bragging on how cool you are for living in Missoula.

    It would be even cooler if you would stop identifying everything you do as being in Missoula.

    Some of us like keeping things small-scale. And we'd appreciate you respecting the way the town has been, and was before you got here: not arrogant, not bragging, not projecting an ego into the Internet.

    Thanks buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bragging, arrogant? I went on a bike ride with my son. I didn't disclose anyone's secret stash of primo singletrack... its a road, well marked on any map. I don't consider, and don't think I implied, that anything we did was extraordinary or worth bragging about. Its a blog... I put up pictures and stories of what we do because I live in a community, and people share things about their lives with one another.

    I live in Missoula, I like taking pictures, and I like to ride my bike. What is the problem with that? The only one being arrogant here is you, thinking that you have some right to judge me and what I do in the place I call home.

    Hey, no hard feelings though. The weather is bound to get better soon, and we'll all be in a better mood. Want to go ride?

    ReplyDelete