Saturday, April 9, 2011

Escape.

Life was a little rough around the family unit today. Lots of details later, I decided to flee and leave the demon childrenz behind for a while. This happens so rarely, I figured that it was justified and perhaps even a good idea. This gained some needed validation when I was encouraged to get out of the house and ride by the significant other.

I made an ambitious plan. Up to Miller Peak. It was already almost noon. And it was only April. I figured I would get at least as far as Hollowman Saddle. Even if I made it that far, it would still be 40 miles of riding, and probably 4 or so hours away from the stresses of domestic life.

Off I went.

I made it down to South Ave before I saw this big storm cloud dropping snow over Blue Mountain.
Coming my way. Maybe I can outrun it.

Turns out I was able to outrun it. Just. Miller Creek Rd. turns southeast just in the nick of time and I got just the scantest of flurries. I was feeling really good on the bike. It was about 60 pounds lighter than it usually is, and I was climbing at a speed that I usually find quite respectable on flat ground with a decent tailwind. There was lots to look at.

I've got a thing for old stuff... and this old stuff had wheels. Cool.

More old stuff with wheels. Montana yard art.

An assortment of deer.

And the rather winding Miller Creek.


The first 15 miles went by in a flash. I was ascending at astounding rates, watching the grey skies close overhead, and occasional flurries cropped up now and then. I started the climb up to Hollowman Saddle and the road took a turn for the worse.

This was the good part of the road. It only got worse from here.

Litter. I was tempted to collect these in an effort to clean up after someone else's carelessness.
Decided that since the road was technically crossing private property at this point, that might
be considered stealing?


So in that last pic, the road surface is already a mix of ice, deadfall, wood chips, and very soft slush due to the warm temps (50 degrees)... I hiked about 2 miles, thinking I could make Hollowman. The whole bike succumbed to the slush and icing became a real problem.

Clearance on the cantis is good. The fenders? Not so much.


I had to bail. It was either that, or carry the bike to Hollowman. I got within spitting distance of 20 miles and called it a day.


The turnaround point.


The descent was a mixed blessing. I usually don't like long descents. Not much happening. Hang on, steer the bike, try to avoid having my muscles cramp up from not having to work, other than hold me upright. Today, there was a good headwind, flurries, and a couple miles of deep, soft slush that made the decent quite technical. Then it became the usual downhill 25 mph dodging and hopping potholes all the way back to town. Some nice views.


Looking across the entire valley to the mountains on the opposite side.


By the time I got back into town proper, I was feeling good. I had to work hard to keep the speed below 18mph and cool down before getting home. A great ride. A little disappointed at how low the snowline still is. I felt unbelievably strong without the trailer and Julian on the back. I'm sure I could have doubled this distance and elevation if time and conditions would have permitted. Soon.


39.5 miles round trip, 2000 feet of climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment